Sunday, July 26, 2009

thirty-three: kolkata

We're finally here: Kolkata in all its hot, humid, sweaty glory. Currently, we have escaped the Ballygunge flat for my aunt's house... a change of scenery. My sister and my cousin Rudhir are involved in an intense pillow fight and Debjani and Chandni, my other two cousins are watching. We are waiting for our cousin Dyuti to get out of the shower to go to lunch.

Being here has been.... interesting. In some ways, I feel a disconnect from my other cousins who always get to talk to each other and are so close and in some I am still so glad to be here. I just wish we actually did stuff, like actually begin shopping, hanging out at places, and so on. But it's so awfully hot right now. Sigh.... I guess Calcutta always has me in mixed feelings.

I've been occasionally practicing my Bengali more, but I feel very self-conscious still and can't always grasp the words I want properly. It's embarrassing. And then my mother always has to tell people I take Hindi at school and expects me to practice speaking that, too! It's a lot of pressure, sometimes, and I do feel a little inadequate. That isn't to say that I haven't been brushing up on hindi. I do have my hindi books to practice exercises and have been consequently racing through some of my lessons from last year... it's nice, even relaxing.

We'll see how this trip goes. I know parts will be very enjoyable, but I am still apprehensive for some reason...

No comments:

Post a Comment

about

summer 2009, thus far, has been a fascinating, rewarding adventure. studying abroad in indonesia for a month, i returned home to thereafter go to chicago for an amazing spiritual retreat for young adults. the combination of the two has me looking at life with a fresh perspective.

as i leave for india, i'll definitely continue to keep track of my experiences there, here! i'm a huge fan of the old school pen-and-paper journalling, but blogging is tons of fun too -- and a great way to stay in touch with everyone at home.

hit me up with a comment -- i'd love to hear from you all!

peace & love,
Nina

Followers