Saturday, August 15, 2009

thirty-five: wrap-up

It is funny how quickly a month can pass by; it only feels like yesterday that we landed in India, let alone Kolkata. Admittedly, in some ways I am eager to return to home and then to college. Both will offer a sense of permanency - something I miss after being in the limbo of travel for two months this summer. (Not that I didn't enjoy it!) Going back to the U.S. also heralds the return to reality and responsibility, of choreographing deadlines for IASA and worries about financial aid. Textbooks and packing and cleaning.

I am looking forward to getting back to exercise and meditation. Without going to the club, it's difficult to walk through the streets of Calcutta uninterrupted, and I much rather walk outside than on a treadmill. Sometimes I felt like I was stagnating in the flat. The smallness of our flat made it difficult to find some "alone" space for meditation. I'm not good enough at stilling my Mind where I can meditate anywhere, with distractions around. Additionally, to see my dad again would be great! He couldn't come with us to India and was missed very much. :( He has taken the week off this week so we'll definitely get to spend time with him!

My attempts to practice Hindi this summer have been an absolute failure - I understand most of it, but speaking still feels beyond me. I'll continue to brush up my grammar and writing before classes begin. I did speak more Bangla, though, promise! Sigh. I will have to try harder and force myself to speak more of everything. Though I really want to do many Chinmaya Mission courses next summer which would be really good for me spiritually and volunteer some of the mission's rural development programs, I also want to study Hindi in a structured immersion atmosphere. It's a bit of a predicament, so let's see how things turn out. Regardless, I will apply for that language scholarship for that particular program... Additionally, to do some side traveling with my uncles next summer would be pretty rad - like, to Sikkim and stuff.

Again, there is so much to say about India and my family. I'll continue to write about it here - sort of a post wrap-up. Or maybe I'll write it in my journal, let's see. But anyway, I know I'm going to miss my family here the most... I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope they will eventually come visit us, some day.

argh, still there is much to say but it's quite late.. goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

about

summer 2009, thus far, has been a fascinating, rewarding adventure. studying abroad in indonesia for a month, i returned home to thereafter go to chicago for an amazing spiritual retreat for young adults. the combination of the two has me looking at life with a fresh perspective.

as i leave for india, i'll definitely continue to keep track of my experiences there, here! i'm a huge fan of the old school pen-and-paper journalling, but blogging is tons of fun too -- and a great way to stay in touch with everyone at home.

hit me up with a comment -- i'd love to hear from you all!

peace & love,
Nina

Followers